Are you a young woman that loves being in the Great Outdoors? If so, then this is the place for you!!

Tuesday, September 25, 2012

Youth Hunts

Recently, some states have been setting aside certain days in each hunting season specifically for youth hunters. I think this is a wonderful idea, and I wish every state would have youth hunts. My first memory of hunting is when I was around 6 years old. I remember waking up before the sun, and having my dad dress me in layer after layer of clothing. We packed our lunch and then made our way outside to the truck. One thing that sticks out in my mind about that morning is that my dad had to pick me up and put me in the truck because I had so many layers on that I couldn't get in the truck by myself. By the time we got settled down in the woods, I was really thankful for all of those layers.

It was a cool, crisp, quiet morning in the woods and I was so excited just to get to spend the day with my dad. Honestly, I couldn't tell you whether or not my dad actually got anything that day, but I can tell you that I had a great time with him that day, and I will always remember that day as my introduction to hunting. I feel fortunate to have a dad that had the patience to take me to the woods time after time, even before I could actually hunt, despite my heavy feet and constant talking. Not only did my dad teach me how to hunt, he taught me patience, perserverance, and how to make due with what was around me.

I really believe that hunting can teach kids a lot of things. That is why I think it would be a great idea to have more youth hunts. I know that people can take their kids with them anytime they go into the woods, but on a youth hunt, the kids are actually allowed to hunt and take their target down. In my opinion, the sooner kids learn how to correctly use a firearm and go hunting, the better off they will be.

No comments:

Post a Comment