Are you a young woman that loves being in the Great Outdoors? If so, then this is the place for you!!

Tuesday, October 16, 2012

Thanks Dad

Without my father, I never would have gotten a taste of how amazing the outdoors can be. I don't know how he put up with my loud footsteps and constant complaints of how cold I was when I went huting with him when I was little, but I am so thankful that he did. It may seem like a small thing to some people, but to me, my dad taking me hunting at a young age changed my life forever. The things that I learned when I was hunting with him made me who I am today.
Hunting isn't just about sitting in the woods waiting for something to walk by so you can shoot it. It's about spending time with the people you love, learning to be patient, learning how nature works, and learning to understand that nothing ever goes as planned.
Getting up early in the morning and going to the woods with my father taught me so many life lessons, and I didn't even realize that I was learning anything at the time. Because of his patience, I learned how to be patient. Because of his dedication to the things and the people he loves, I have learned to be more dedicated. I have also learned that good things come to those who wait. It doesn't matter how early you get up, or how long you sit in the woods, there is no guarantee that you will leave with more than what you came with. That in itself taught me that not everything will go your way, but there is always next time.
Probably the most important thing that I learned from my dad taking me hunting is that he will always be there for me. Even if he still wanted to hunt, he would take me home if I got tired. If he wanted to walk a little further, he would stop if I didn't want to go any more. And when I got my first deer, he was right there beside me, helping me with everything. It doesn't matter what happens in this life, I will always have the reassurance that my father will be there for me. And all of this, I learned from hunting.
So, to all of the girls out there that have a father that was willing to take them hunting; don't take him for granted. Thank him for being patient with you and teaching you valuable lessons.
To all of the fathers out there that took their little girls out in to the woods despite their loud feet and mouths, thank you. You have done more for us than you will ever realize.

2 comments:

  1. Love this! There is so much more to hunting than what non-hunters think. One of my friends the other day was talking and looked at me and said, "She probably does more praying in the woods than we do at Church on Sunday mornings!" It was so true! :) - Emily

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That is awesome! And I agree, I feel closer to God in the woods than I do in church too. :-)

      Delete